Project: School Inclusion Index
Client: Swindon Borough Council
Many of our clients are increasingly interested in looking at their schools in a different way to the normal DfE headline measures. Seeing similar work we had carried out for other local authorities, Swindon approached us to produce a inclusion index for their schools. Their aim was to help identify schools with more or less inclusive practice, and to raise awareness of inclusion amongst its schools. The index included:
- Proportions of pupils with SEN Support and EHCP
- Absence and exclusions of SEN pupils
- On and off rolling of SEN pupils
- Parental opinions on the schools approach to dealing with bullying
- Attainment and progress for SEN and disadvantaged pupils
- Destinations after secondary school, especially for disadvantaged pupils
- Staff absence and diversity
Using these individual factors, we created an overall inclusion score which highlighted schools which had higher numbers of positive inclusion indicators.
This information was presented in a colour coded grid for local authority managers which highlighted schools with particularly high or low levels of inclusion for each indicator. We also produced a series of anonymous “piano charts” so each school could see how they compare to other schools.